Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Canning - Bread & Butter Pickles

You are going to find a variety of topics here at The Not So Empty Nest.  Today, right after I mowed our 4 acres, I canned some bread & butter pickles.  Since it was so easy I thought I'd share my success with you.

It's been very hot (90s-100s most days) and dry in Alabama this summer spring, so my garden hasn't been the best ever - but good enough.  I do a combination of concrete blocks, 8x4 containers and square foot gardening. I'm growing potatoes, onions, carrots, squash, zucchini, corn, lima beans, green beans, tomatoes (not doing good), peppers, jalepenos, okra, eggplant, watermelon, cantelope, strawberries, basil, parsley, dill and cilantro.  Wanna take a peek?


 
INGREDIENTS:

16 cups sliced pickling cucumbers
3 onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup coarse salt
4 cups cracked ice (whatever that means)

2 1/2 c cider vinegar
2 1/2 c sugar
3/4 t turmeric
1/2 t celery seeds
1 T mustard seeds

1.  Combine 1st 4 ingredients and mix well.  I tried to use the Pampered Chef Mandolin, but it was a pain.  So I switched to a good knife and cutting board and that was the ticket.

2.  Put a weight over the cuke mixture and allow to stand 3 hours.  For a weight, use a plate with a gallon of vinegar or water on top.

 3.  Drain thoroughly and rinse a couple times.


4.  Combine rest of ingredients in a large pot.  

5.  Add drained cukes.
6.  Place pot on medium low heat.

7.  Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL. 

8.  Put pickles in jars.  Add liquid to 1/2" from top of jar.

9.  Seal with lids and tighten bands.
10.  Put in a hot water bath (boiling water) for 10 minutes.  Did you notice one of my jars is above the rest?  I think it'll be OK.  It sealed and that's what you want.

11.  Remove from hot water bath with tongs.  You want them to seal, so feel for that after a bit.  I can remember my mom canning, and waiting to hear the "pop". 


Let me know if you make these and how they turn out!


 Blessings,

Debbie




1 comment: